Thursday, June 3, 2010

Shema Yisrael...

{originally posted on http://www.seekersofsilence.net/news/shemayisrael}

{Please note that this page contains a name for the Source, if you decide to print it out, please treat it with respect}

This discussion is based on the translation of "Adonai echod" as being "the Lord is One," as opposed to "the Lord alone."

For more information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shema_Yisrael

Translations and Hebrew were lifted from http://www.jewfaq.org/prayer/shema.htm - which contains the fullness of the prayer as it exists in many siddurs, please visit Tracey R. Rich's site. Unfortunately the request is made not to reproduce for anything other than personal, educational, non-commercial use "but may NOT be reproduced on other websites". As soon as I can replace the graphics I shall, however the transliterations and the translations are "common knowledge" items.

Background

Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our G-d, the Lord is One.



I continue to feel that this is not nearly enough....

"The Lord is One" trips me every time. I want to go one and say more. I don't feel it's enough to proclaim the Oneness of the Eternal. I feel the need to say MORE in that one line than what exists there currently. I know that there's much following that we also recite when saying the Shema as a prayer, but those verses from Torah aren't adding the two words I feel are needed to truly express my heartfelt understanding in prayer.

First, why add to what is in the Torah?
I do not wish to add to what is found in Deuteronomy 6:4. That is Torah, and should remain as such. Yes, I know this prayer is lifted from The Scroll, but still, I've seen already some additions in our prayer form for the Shema that's not direct from this section of Deuteronomy.

What addition?

In many siddurs you will see the line:
Barukh sheim k'vod malkuhuto l'olam va'ed

Blessed be the Name of His glorious kingdom for ever and ever. This addition interrupts the passage we are reciting from and gives us the form of prayer. Without this, I would simply have left alone and nodded to this being a recitation from a parshah of Torah.

But I would like to add to the prayer form. My heart surges when I say the Shema, and it wants to append to "The Lord is One" that "The Lord is All."

The Lord is ALL


Is G-d separate from that which G-d created? I can't see this as being possible, for I was taught "G-d is everywhere." If I broaden my view, and allow these thoughts to run in their various tangents, it presents a myriad of possibilities.

I am reminded that a Torah Scholar searches for meaning, not just in the letters, but in the spaces around the letters (a corollary of "meaning, not just in the words, but the silences between" from which we get our name).

Science teaches that atoms are the building blocks of our universe, but there are spaces even around atoms. Such spaces are important. It is my conjecture that G-d is both in the atom, and in the spaces around the atom. Thus each item that we see has G-d in it.

Yes, this can be a dangerous road. Care must be taken to ensure that one does not grab an apple and say "This contains G-d, therefore I shall worship it." Simply for the fact that the Divine is IN something does not mean that the Divine is limited or constrained to that object, for is not G-d everywhere? This means IN as well as AROUND as well as ON all at the same time. This is a mighty definition for such a small word in English as "all." In fact, it may be easier for us to view that we and everything we perceive is IN G-d. Surely the thought that Universe is part of G-d is not too much of a stretch?

There will be many more thoughts on this, and I will refine as I have time, but this is the roughest sketch I can make, and I only make it so I don't forget what I heard echoing back from that little voice that is my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment